The Greater Philly UU Cluster organizes and participates in reproductive justice efforts every year.
- Reproductive Justice Training: Saturday, March 19, 2016, 1:00 – 2:30 PM at Unitarian Society of Germantown
“What does Reproductive Justice and UUPLAN have to do with you?” – This workshop introduced the principles of Reproductive Justice as endorsed by UUPLAN (Unitarian Universalist Pennsylvania Legislative Advocacy Network) and showed participants simple and effective ways to communicate with their elected officials on a variety off issues, not solely reproductive justice. Get Involved! Learn more here.
- UUA General Assembly CSAI* 2012-2016 “Reproductive Justice: Expanding our Social Justice Calling“
- UUA General Assembly 2015 Statement of Conscience (SOC) on Reproductive Justice
- “A Time to Embrace: Why the Sexual and Reproductive Justice Movement Needs Religion“ by Rev. Debra W. Haffner, is a white paper that argues that renewing the engagement of religious leaders and people of faith is essential to the progress and long-term success of the sexual and reproductive health and justice (SRH and RJ) movement. Sections of the paper rigorously examine the landscape of religion in the United States; the history of faith engagement in the SRH and RJ movement; theological grounding and values language for engaging SRH and RJ issues; and the current work of secular SRH and RJ organizations, faith-based SRH and RJ organizations, denominations, foundations, and the media.This resource also includes a detailed call to action specifying practical ways secular SRH and RJ organizations, faith-based SRH and RJ organizations, denominations, foundations, and the media can help deepen and renew the relationship between people of faith and the SRH and RJ movements. The paper is the result of a year of research, surveys, and the deliberations of a national colloquium.
- Patient Trust Act – for more info check out the PA Campaign for Women’s Health. Also, you can access the “toolkit” for excellent talking points to further understand this bill and become familiar with how to talk about it: https://sites.google.com/a/keystoneprogress.org/c4wh_docs/
- UUA supports abortion access in statement to Supreme Court – joint statement including UUA President Peter Morales
- UUPLAN Reproductive Justice website
- UUPLAN Facebook page – posted Blog: “Voice of Faith Speak for Abortion Rights“
- UUFaithActionNJ Reproductive Justice and Health Care website
- Sermon: “Reproductive Justice“ February 7, 2016, Lorraine Lee, Thomas Paine UU Fellowship
- Faith Leaders Toolkit (7/12/17)
What Can I Do? (3/19/16)
- Coffee Hour “Lobbying” – Go to www.legis.state.pa.us and print out the two bills, HB 1176 and HB 1100 (Workplace Accommodations for Pregnant Workers and Nursing Mothers). Also print out the first page of the Committee that both bills are in, which includes a photo of committee chairwoman Rep. Mauree Gingrich. Put these in three separate plastic sleeve protectors. Then write the following script in large print and put it in a plastic sleeve protector: ” Hi, my name is ——— and I’m calling from —— Unitarian Church in ———-. My church is a member of the Unitarian Universalist Pennsylvania Legislative Advocacy Network. We represent the 6,000 Unitarians living in the state of Pennsylvania. I am urging Representative Gingrich to support HB 1176 and HB 1100 and to pass them without amendments. I feel these are important bills that are good for mothers, families, and business. Thank you.” Then go up to people at coffee hour with your cell phone and ask them to do this. Have Rep. Gingrich’s telephone number already in your phone, so all they had to do is to make the call and read the script. If you call on Sunday, the calls will be taken by the answering machine in Rep. Gingrich’s office. Thus people don’t even have to talk to a live person! When Rep. Gingrich’s staffers come in to the office on Monday morning, they have to listen to the messages and tally them up. Every call counts.
- Send letter to Rep Mauree Gingrich – print off copies of the Gingrich letter. Then, after Sunday’s service, ask your congregation members to sign and mail the letters to:
Rep. Mauree Gingrich: firstname.lastname@example.org
and her district address is 1044 E. Main Street, Palmyra, PA 17078
- Send letter to your State Senator – print off copies of the Senator letter. Find your legislator: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/. Then, after Sunday’s service, ask your congregation members to sign and mail the letters to their Senator.
- How a Bill Becomes a Law
- PA Agenda for Women’s Health
- Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice
- Resources for Reproductive Justice
- UUPLAN brochure
- What is UU and RJ
* CSAI – Congregational Study/Action Issues (CSAIs) voted on at General Assembly for four years of study, reflection, and action.