Date(s) - 04/13/2019
12:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Saturday, April 13, 2019
12:30 – 5:00 PM
Unitarian Universalist Church of Delaware County
145 West Rose Tree Road, Media, PA 19063
Join us for a day of singing and fellowship with area UUs. The workshop will include group singing and specialized sessions. Each session will tackle one subject pertaining to singing. Participants will learn exercises/repertoire to increase vocal abilities.
All abilities and talents welcome!
12:30 – 1:30 Registration / Brown bag lunch
1:30 – 5:00 Program
- There will be two concurrent workshop sessions:
- Session 1:
- A – Vocal Mechanism (Nate Bergey, First Unitarian Church of Philly): We will explore the mechanics of the voice and learn about healthy, sustainable singing through vocalises and repertoire. This workshop is applicable to any style of singing and we will discuss opportunities and challenges in a variety of musical contexts.
- B – Aging Voice (special guest: Jason Bizich): In this unique session we will explore the vocal mechanism and challenges that are specific to the aging voice. Singers will learn techniques for singing well and will learn strategies for navigating particular issues in repertoire. Part of the workshop will be learning excerpts of several choral pieces and discuss the specific techniques that apply.
- Session 2:
- A – Vocal Freedom in Spirit Singing (Natasha Steinmacher, UUC Cherry Hill): This workshop offers an experience of the vocal freedom to be experienced in singing “by heart”. We will explore skills of harmonization, rhythm, memory, and the potential for revelations in sound and spirit. This workshop is beneficial for singers of all abilities.
- B – Songleading for your congregation (John Hook and Margaret Lea, BuxMont UU Fellowship): Community singing brings us together, giving congregations a common language as we journey together in faith. Effective song leading enhances worship and nurtures singers of all ages in spirit and in skill. Song leading requires planning, collaborating, a physical presence, and a sense of confidence and empowerment. In this workshop we will explore these techniques and strategies and talk about their impact on congregational singing.
- Session 1:
Please help us advertise by printing and posting the Singers Workshop flyer.
Questions? Email Nate Bergey
Please register below by April 6th with your selection of which workshop during Sessions 1 and 2 you plan to attend.
Note: registration will continue to remain open. We ask for advanced registration, so we can have the appropriate amount of materials, room setup, etc. Thank you!
[contact-form-7 id=”1276″ title=”Singers Workshop”]